On October 2, 2010 Ferrum College broke ground on the 5.5 million dollar Hank Norton Athletic Center. This facility, described as a 29,000 square foot, state of the art facility, will provide all necessary amenities for all of the College's outdoor sports. This much needed facility will be the centerpiece to Ferrum athletics, and will not only provide student athletes with a top notch facility, but the center will also be a valuable tool in recruiting potential student athletes.
So having broken ground in early October, where do we stand as we approach mid February? The "Norton Cam" that is available through the Ferrum website, provides current pictures of the construction process.
In a statement released by the College prior to the groundbreaking, it was hoped that the center would be completed in the later part of fall semester of the 2011-2012 school year.
In speaking with Kim Blair, Vice President of Institutional Advancement, I learned the following:
The Hank Norton Center is "on schedule" and the College is looking for completion" toward the end of fall."
Blair said "we were very blessed that the winter weather has not been a big deterrent to the construction schedule."
I was also happy to learn the the foundation has been poured. This is a major step, and I would think that this will mean we will see vertical progress soon. All in all, it seems that the College is right where they should be with the construction, but fundraising is another story. Blair said "The College is still looking to raise the majority of the 1.5 million dollars, which is needed to supplement the 4 million dollar loan for the Norton Center."
This project is extremely important to the future of the Ferrum athletic program, and needs to be properly funded. There are several naming opportunities for the center, based on planned giving. The naming opportunities are as follows:
• Weight/Fitness Room
• Sports Medicine Center
• Baseball Center
• 30% OF THE FUNDS RAISED FOR THE NAMED, SAM WEBB
FOOTBALL CENTER (Named in honor of Coach Webb for his dedication to Ferrum College and his commitment to Panther student athletes.)
• Athletic Administration Suite
• Sports Hall of Fame/Classroom/Hospitality Room
• Football Locker Room
• NAMED: ONE DONOR COMMITTED!
• Ist Floor Vestibule Entrance
• Women’s Sports Center
• Men’s Sport Center
• NAMED: FOUR DONORS COMMITTED!
• Head Coaches’ Offices
• Coaches’ Locker Rooms (1 women’s, 1 men’s)
• Women’s Soccer/Lacrosse Locker Room
• Women’s Softball Locker Room
• Men’s Soccer Lacrosse Locker Room
• Men’s Baseball Locker Room
• Office Manager’s office
• Football Conference Rooms (1 Defensive, 1 Offensive)
• A/V Room
• NAMED: EIGHT DONORS COMMITTED!
• 2nd Floor Upper Entrance Vestibule
• NAMED: FOUR DONORS COMMITTED!
• Rehab Room
• Treatment Room
• Hydro Therapy Room
• Small Office (25 - $5K each)
• NAMED: 5OFFICES REMAINING! NAME YOURS TODAY!
• Lockers (277 - $500 each)
• NAMED: 193 LOCKERS REMAINING! NAME YOURS TODAY!
This endeavor has come too far to fall financially short, and I am hopeful that all alumni and friends of Ferrum will contact the College about making a donation to this important project. To donate to the Hank Norton Center, click the following link:
Stay tuned, I will continue to post updates as I get them.