Tuesday, August 1, 2017

2017 USA South Predictions

Its that time for my pre -season predictions, and while it is easy to automatically anoint Huntingdon as likely conference champion, I am inclined to channel my inner Lee Corso and say "Not So Fast"
There are many teams that will be in serious contention this year, and Huntingdon will definitely be one, but I think things could be so close, that it could end up being one of four or five teams that could end up on top. There may be more parity in the conference this year, and this has been a trend of recent years, but to have 4-5 teams that could legitimately take the title is parity on a higher plane.

Some interesting information about the USA South. It has been the practice that the conference office has posted information about the media day event for football. This event is hosted by one of the member schools each year, and all head coaches, usually someone from the athletic directors office, or possibly the SID office, and each institutions local media would likely be in attendance. Although I had been looking, I had not seen anything about this years media day. Knowing that this is usually held in late July, I decided to contact the USA South office directly to find out when the media day would be. I spoke to assistant commissioner Mike Christie, and learned that the conference office would have a meeting with all of the coaches, but the format apparently would not include media coverage. He did assure me that there would be a  coaches poll, and this would happen in very early August.
As of now, I have not seen any coaches poll, and I always try to publish my predictions before the coaches poll comes out. With this in mind, below is where I think the USA South teams will finish.


9)  Methodist

8)   Greensboro

7)   LaGrange

6)   Brevard

5)   Averett

4)    N.C. Wesleyan

3)   Ferrum

2)  Huntingdon

1)  Maryville


This is very difficult. First, very little is known about Brevard. They are a former DII school, in their first year of DIII. They will have scholarship athletes, and could do better than projected. They had 1 win last year.

I do believe that any of the top five teams can win the conference. To put Averett at 5th seems like they are under rated. I think they can beat any team on their schedule......Its going to be fun to keep up with the Cougars.

I am picking Maryville to beat Huntingdon, and Ferrum to beat North Carolina Wesleyan.

For Ferrum to do better than this, they need to go into Homecoming preferably unbeaten. If they start 3-0, look out!


ts going to be a fun season. Stay tuned for a more in depth article of the season soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment