Sunday, August 23, 2026

Let's Get It Started

 And here we go folks! Welcome to the 2026 season aka Ferrum's second season in DII. Looking at this season's schedule, I am happy to see that VMI is not on it. Don't get me wrong, It was a move to give the team a taste of bigger time college football, but that game was not even close. It was a 42-7 drubbing. So for the Keydets to be off the schedule, is a plus. With a 4-7 record, and considering one of the losses was against a DI school, Ferrum had a solid first year in Division II. So what can we expect this year? 

Returning Players 

Some of the key returning players are:. 

  •  QB Eli Foutz- Foutz had a strong year under center, His passing stats were:                                         167 of 271 10 INT's and 13 TD's He ranked 4th in Passing in Conference Carolinas                       Rushing: Foutz carried the ball 107 times for 246 yards and 1 TD. He ranked 16th in the conference in rushing.
  • RB Jahylen Lee had a downturn statistically in 2025. While he ranked 5th in the conference with 558 yards and  3 TD's, his rushing yards were 408 yards more in 2024 with one less game on the schedule. I would expect a turnaround from Jayhlen this season
  • RB Na'Ledge Wright will return for his Junior season. In 2025, he saw limited action behind Lee and Vaught. It appears that Vaught will not be returning this season, and I would expect that there will be more opportunities for Wright.bad things, 
  • Omarza Gray- 5th ranked WR in Conference Carolinas, Freshman Offensive Player of the Year- This guy had many accolades over his Freshman year, and I can say I am very glad he will be back this year. Expect many great plays from Gray as he has a solid chance to rewrite the Ferrum Record Book.
  • On Defense, look for Zamarie Copley to return after a very nice season at DB. Copley placed 4th in the conference for interceptions. We anticipate another fine year from Zamarie.
  •  Jamal Alexander who led Ferrum on defense in the TFL category, and finished 8th in the conference will return for his Junior year.
         Ferrum took some big losses to graduation, especially on the defensive side of the ball. What I can tell is that there has been some strong recruiting by the coaches. If I am counting right there are 131 players on the Ferrum roster. 60 of those are Freshmen. That does not necessarily mean the team is young, but there may be a few underclassmen getting their shot to prove themselves to the coaches.

I think Ferrum could have a good year, but the key this year is to snag an upset or two. This outcome will rely heavily on the defense. If the Defense can meld as a cohesive unit, Ferrum will have a shot. Last year, the Panthers were 4-7, I expect that they can reach 5-6 or possibly 6-5, but to do that they need to win 2 of their non conference games, and need to knock off a team or two that they fell to last year. Look for Ferrum to be a team that has speed, and will surprise some people this year.

Go Panthers!

No comments:

Post a Comment