Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ferrum Ends Season 7-3
Solid Second Place Finish

As so it is over. The 2011 season, Coach Harper's inaugural season, has come to a close, and from where I sit, this has been a really successful year. Ferrum took care of business today defeating the Averett Cougars 33-25 to finish the season 7-3, second place in the conference.
While I was not able to listen to the game, I have reviewed the stats, and it looks like Mayo really solidified himself as USA South Offensive Player of the Year. He had a great game, and if I had a vote, he would certainly get mine.
It appears to me that the Panthers were dominate early leading 13-7 at the half, and 33-9 by the end of the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, it was all Averett as the Panthers did not score, while the Cougars hung 16 fourth quarter points on the board. Averett was far more solid offensively than I anticipated, but Ferrum was no slouch either. In the long run, Ferrum was the stronger team, but Averett did not roll over. They did not give up, and in the end, made the score far more respectable.
So Ferrum has to now begin the process of building toward next year. They will be losing a good deal of talent from this team, while at the same time will have a good amount returning. This will be the subject of a future article, but for now Ferrum, enjoy the fact that you finished a solid second place, and laid the foundation for even more improvement in the future. Way to go Seniors!

1 comment:

  1. To all Ferrum Panthers players. What a great season you gave your fans. I'm looking forward to next year as I will have nothing to do on my Saturday for the rest of this year.

    ReplyDelete