Saturday, July 9, 2016

Get Ready, We Are Getting Close to Kickoff

As it has been well over two months since my last blog post, I return with many "new" things to write about....and while this has been an unacceptable delay on posting, It's time to once again get the ball rolling, so here I go!

Tyler Comes Home

Tyler Brubaker '13, has returned to Ferrum as an assistant coach on Rob Grande's staff. Bru' who had spent the last two seasons as an assistant at Averett, returned to Ferrum when Luke Summers was promoted from assistant coach to Offensive Coordinator after Joel Gordon left to accept a job at Iowa State.


photo by Gary Holden

                       Tyler Brubaker gets up to make a great catch at North Carolina Wesleyan



While wearing the Black Hat, Brubaker was a force to be reckoned with-
While his primary role was receiver, Brubaker was not just a talented receiver, but filled other roles  also. In his Senior year, Brubaker ran for 444 yards with 5 touchdowns, caught 31 passes for 418 yards and 3 touchdowns, had 302 yards in kickoff returns, and 166 yards in punt returns. Lastly, Tyler made 6 pass attempts that year, completed three, and one of those was for a 31 yard touchdown......In 2011, and 2010, Brubaker was 1 of 1 passing in each year, both for touchdowns.  Overall, he was 5 of 8 passing with 3 touchdowns......Not bad at all. Welcome Back Bru'



Ferrum Hosts Camp For Area Players

For the first time in my recent memory, Ferrum College held a youth football camp. This camp was for sixth graders to rising Seniors, and focused on many fundamental principles of the game. Below is a link to a video highlighting the camp.

Ferrum Football Camp



Recruits Continue To Roll In


From what I can tell, Coach Grande and his staff are having a strong recruiting season. I have posted some recruit successes in a previous post, but below are even  more recent recruits.

Bryce Casey: QB Isle of Wight Academy
Andrew Comer: Lineman, Tazwell High School
Jordan Patti: OL Staunton River High School
Mikey Walker: OL Staunton River High School
Madison Dunn: WR/SS Wilkes Central High School


USA South Media Day

This year, the conference media day will be August 1st, and will be hosted by Huntingdon College in Montgomery Alabama. This will be the first time hosting this event by Huntingdon, and this will be the prelude to the beginning of fall camps all around the conference.

Media Day will allow all of the coaches a chance to give an overview of their upcoming season, and will feature the unveiling of the coaches poll. I will, as is my custom, reveal my predictions the day prior to Media Day. This season, there will be three new head coaches in the conference:

Rob Grande-Ferrum
Keven Williams- Methodist (Interim Head Coach)
Greg Crum- Greensboro


On A Personal Note.....

I want to say a huge thank you for all of the comments of support I have received since my prostate cancer diagnosis back in February. I went through a great deal of research trying to choose which treatment would be best for me, and I began treatments on March 28th, and finished them on May 24th. I recently went back for my first follow up visit, and the doctors were very pleased with what they saw. My PSA score has dropped significantly, and while it is not where they want it to be yet (and they did not expect it to be), it is heading in the right direction. Everything seems very positive.
Thank you again for all of the kind words of support.

I am looking forward to this season, and planning on attending several games. It has been a struggle to keep the blog posts coming as not only do I work two jobs, but I have had, as I have mentioned before, a myriad of computer problems. Well, I finally decided that it was time to get a new computer, and it should be a huge help in keeping the blog posts more timely.

Get ready to come out and support the Panthers. I think you will see a lot of good things out of Ferrum this year, and I cant wait for September 3rd......I'll be there. 

Go Panthers!













No comments:

Post a Comment