Friday, September 9, 2016

Ferrum @ Shenendoah

After a season opener that will not soon be forgotten, Ferrum takes to the road. Heading North, the Panthers travel to Winchester to take on the Shenandoah Hornets. With both teams opening the season at 1-0, It could again come down to who has the ball last. It is hard to guage the overall quality of Shenandoah after just one game, but there are a few things I know. Their quarterback, Hayden Bauserman, had a great day as he went 17 of 29 for 174 yards and 4 touchdowns with one interception. Another weapon in the Hornets arsenal is Cedrick Delaney. Delaney who typically lines up in the backfield is a threat running as well as receiving, but is also used in many kick return scenarios. Both of these athletes must be in the heart of the Ferrum defensive game plan.

In recent years, Ferrum has struggled against the Hornets, as they have not defeated Shenandoah since 2012/ One of the differences I have noticed was the size difference along the line of scrimmage. To me, Shenandoah was bigger.....a lot bigger. I am not sure whether this will be the case this year, but I have a much more positive feeling.

Ferrum has shown a good amount of promise after their first game, but as I said in an earlier post, one game does not a season make. There is reason for optimism, but also things that cause me concern.
What I see that needs improvement for Ferrum is:

* Being quicker out of the gates. Don't make come from behind wins a habit.....my heart can't take it.
*  Let's get tighter with special teams. A FG could make the difference, and so could a kick return.
*  Be ready for the secondary to be tested. Consistent pressure on the Hornets quarterback is a must.

I have a good feeling about this game, and while this is not going to be easy, I see Ferrum coming home, 2-0.


Ferrum  31

Shenandoah 28

Go Panthers!

Can't get to the game? Below is the link you can use to watch the game.....don't forget, it's a 7p.m. kickoff.


Ferrum @ Shenandoah

No comments:

Post a Comment