Monday, September 2, 2024

Lots of Changes on 40 West

To say that this has been a busy offseason is an understatement of major proportions. On October 9th, it was announced that Cleive Adams was named the Athletics Director at Ferrum College. His was a logical, yet surprising move to me as I felt as though Adams was making progress with the football program.  On January 9th, Ferrum announced it selection for its 9th head football coach. I was not sure what to expect, but my hope was that they would find a coach that met at least three criteria.

  • The coach should have college coaching experience
  • The coach should have been associated with successful programs
  • The coach should have the mindset of returning Ferrum to football prominence
Kevin Sherman '92 was introduced at the Tuesday press conference as the newest leader of the Ferrum gridiron program, and from what I have gleaned from the press conference, and various news articles, he checks all the boxes,.... and then some.
Coach Sherman has a strong background and a wealth of experience with more than 30 years on the sideline. 

Not long after the announcement of the new coach, Ferrum announced it would be elevating all of the college sponsored athletics to Division II. This, for me came out of deep left field. I did not see that coming at all. I am not sure, even now what to think of this decision, but at some levels, it makes sense.
I think this will give teams another tool in their recruiting tool bag. It should draw more athletes, and can in the long run work to rebuild the athletic successes at Ferrum. This change to division 2 I believe will begin in 2025-26, but I am expecting this to be an introductory year where they will not be eligible for a conference title. (Please correct me in the comments if I am wrong)
This move will hopefully increase enrollment, but the question I have is where does the money for scholarships come from?
In D2 football, a team can make available a total of 36 scholarships. This number varies per sport, but I am expecting that most, if not all players in football that are offered money will be offered partial scholarships. There could be a full ride, but I don't see that being the case very often.
This will change the approach to recruiting, and will change the image of Ferrum in the eyes of the prospective athlete. Remember this is a year away......what about this year?

It all starts Saturday when the #5 Mount Union Purple Raiders come to Ferrum for the first time. I have given details of their past success, but I want to offer up something that may be more familiar to you.
In 2012, Mount Union defeated Christopher Newport University 72-14.
In 2006, Mount Union beat Averett 64-7
In 2007 they again beat Averett 75-7
They have also beaten Bridgewater twice,
They have beaten North Carolina Wesleyan twice
They are 1-0 against Randolph-Macon
and
They are 2-0 against Washington and Lee

This team is a powerhouse, and an elite D3 football program. This will likely be a long day for the Panthers, but Ferrum is the only team that has a chance to beat Mount Union this Saturday, and if there is a chance, I will be there to see it. Good Luck Panthers! Let's Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment