Sunday, September 11, 2022

Ferrum Falls Hard to Muskingum 31-3

 On a rainy day with a sparse home crowd, I sat in the stands and watched what amounted to another lesson on fundamental football. I don't want to sound too negative, because Ferrum did show flashes of strength, and for most of the game they were in striking distance to keep the game close. It just was not meant to be. The Fighting Muskies had a large and strong offensive line. This gave them a solid offensive advantage. Personally, I am not a fan of a three down linemen defensive front, and that is what Ferrum is running. This gives the linebackers more responsibility to stop the run. Personally, I would like to see a more traditional 4-3-4 defensive look.

Offensively, Ferrum was able to move the ball, but mainly between the 20's, their red zone offense was not able to produce. I would like to see a traditional option look from time to time. Just to keep the defense uneasy. Quarterback Brayden Hawkins was able to make many accurate passes, but in the end, there was not enough production. 

Even after missing 2 of the three field goals, I still believe that Deaton will be fine. I am thinking his set up position seemed a little too straight on. I am quite confident he will rebound.

The Panthers have a lot to work on before they travel to LaGrange Georgia this week. I am hoping that there will be continued improvement, and who knows, Ferrum may just be starting to gel at the right time.


No comments:

Post a Comment